Open Source Benefits
There are numerous reasons why any business should consider open source technology as part of their critical business applications. The most significant benefit lies in total cost of ownership, enhanced quality, flexibility and control, and superior support.
We have detailed these characteristics in order to help you consider the business value of using open source solutions such as eCommerce, ERP, and CRM for your business.for your business.
- Lower Cost of Ownership — There are no license fees for open source software. There is zero cost of scale, because open source doesn’t require additional licenses as the installation grows. The only costs are towards the support of your software, ensuring reliability and reducing ongoing costs.
- Greater Security & Quality — Open source software is available publicly. A large amount of global developers contribute to and analyze the code making it more secure; consistently increasing the product quality. Through peer reviews, design excellence is attained.
- Take Control of Your Software — Open source software gives you the power to manage your software’s code. You have the right to modify the code to suit your needs. Unlike proprietary software, where the vendor controls the code and new features, with open source software, you control the upgrade process and can decide which improvement to implement and when.
- Escape Vendor Lock-in — Disappointment and dissatisfaction with a vendor’s support and service is a reality for all Small and Medium Businesses like yours. Open source gives you the freedom to choose your preferred vendor, preventing subsequent vendor issues and providing the freedom of choice.
- Flexibility — Open source software is transparent. If there’s something you want it to do, you can pick from available extensions, modify the product yourself or pay someone to do it for you. If you wish to, you are free to contribute your modifications back to the community so that the software continues to improve.
- Continuity — It is possible that a proprietary software company shuts down or decides to discontinue developing its software and providing associated services. With it go the support and the future of the software. Open source software is not dependent on any one single entity. By adopting open source software, you become part of a community of users and developers who have a common interest in working together to support each other and improve the software for all.
- Support — Access to good support is usually available for free via mailing lists, forums and chat lines, if you have the technical knowledge and skills to assimilate it. The help is often provided by the same people that wrote the original code. You can also opt to pay for professional support.
Linko Solutions will help you throughout the entire installation and configuration of your software deployment. We are here as your business partner, ensuring your ongoing support needs are properly addressed, allowing you to focus on running your business.